Thursday 17 July 2014

Do you know Mr. Equipment?

Hello, everyone! How are you?
I guess most of you paid attention to what was happening in Winnipeg last week.
For those of you who don't know the 2014 Red River Cup tournament in Winnipeg last week. BC won the gold medal last year and we sent two teams there this year. I was hoping to see them win gold again this year but unfortunately their result was not we hoped for. Even though our teams didn't have any medals I think the players had a great experience.
 
Besides the players, there are many staff who work hard during the competition such as coaches and trainers. Chief of all, football is a sport which needs a lot of equipment so the role of the equipment man is important especially for competition.
At Football BC, the person who is the go to guy to handle equipment is Dave Henderson.
Even before he left to Winnipeg Dave was busy preparing for the trip. When he came by the office to check the equipment I had a chance to talk with him. 


What is your role with Football BC?
- I'm an equipment man. I check all the equipment to make sure they work well because I have to make sure the kids on the field are safe and not going to get injured.
 
What is the most interesting part of your job?
- That's a good question. I like meeting and working with different kids. Because I coach at a high school and I've helped the BC Lions, I see football at so many different levels. It's fun and interesting to see it.
 
Do you have any challenges working with Football BC?
- No. It's wonderful organization. It's very well organized and cooperative when I need to do stuff. And I appreciate all the trips with Football BC. They were a lot of fun and a great experience.

What is the stinkiest equipment you have ever smelled?
- Well, the funny stinkiest one was after we (BC Lions) won the Grey Cup in 2011 at BC Place. (The locker room) smelled like beer, sweat, champagne and cigars. So it was quite the odour. The next day when we were back there, it was even worse.
 
Tell us something we don't know about you
- I've had a government job for 27 years and I've been married for 20 years. I've adopted three kids and fostered another four. I fill my house with kids and somehow I'm still married.
 
Who is Larry Reda (Football BC president) to you?
- Larry Reda is my loving uncle. He is my mom's older brother. Mr. Reda has done a wonderful job here.


 
After our conversation, Dave finished checking the equipment and left the office. This was not the first time I met Dave. I can remember when I met him the very first time at the BC Tough camp. He looked busy but he had smile on his face doing his work. When I saw it I thought he enjoyed his job. And doing this interview, I could feel that he really likes his working with Football BC and Team BC. As I mentioned before, equipment is important in sports, particularly in football to prevent injuries. So the equipment must be well managed by a responsible person. In my point of view, I think Football BC is very lucky because they have an equipment guy who loves his job and helping kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment