Wednesday 4 June 2014

Movie review: Let's be 'RUDY'!


Hi there, Hayley again. How are you doing?
It’s already my third week with Football BC and third post! Thank you all for reading:)

This week my supervisor was out of the town so he wasn’t in here. It meant I was totally free in the office! So I decided just to relax and watch movies all week. Just kidding! :P

As you know, I don’t have enough football background. I can learn the rule or terms by watching football games, but I haven’t had chance watch a football game yet!
Before I watch games I wanted to know why football matters and why so many people are so interested in it. I thought if I watched sports movies, I could see that side of it.

So today, I’d like to post about the movie I watched, ‘Rudy’

                             
Above all, I’m with Football BC so I wanted to watch movie related to football. So I considered between ‘The Blind Side’ and ‘Rudy’, and I chose ‘Rudy’
Because ‘Rudy’ had Korean subtitles… no I’m kidding.

Before my supervisor left, he recommended those two movies, so I researched about them. ‘The Blind Side’ is a famous movie in Korea also so there are many reviews on the web but ‘Rudy’ is an old movie which wasn’t even opened in Korea. Nevertheless, there were a few comments about it on the website which said it’s a five star movie. I was curious so I decided to watch it.

Before you read my review, here are a couple of questions for you to think about:

"Do you have a dream in your life? Are you making an effort to achieve it?"

Well, as I told you, my dream is to be a sports journalist and I think I’m trying to achieve it.
But when first I told my friends about my dream, they didn’t take it seriously. They said ‘If you want, just try it. But it’s not that easy. There are so many people who share the same dream as you but are better than you’

However, now, I’m stepping toward it by working here and developing myself.

The reason I’m telling you this is because ‘Rudy’ is a movie about making his dream come true.

Rudy is a boy who wants to be a football player at Notre Dame University which is famous of football. But his father made him work at his factory because he thought Rudy wasn’t smart enough to go to that university. But he still had a dream to go to the University.
One of Rudy’s best friends and supporters was another boy named Peter. After Peter dies in an accident Rudy decides not to live like others want him to and leaves to make his dream come true. Of course, he was rejected entering Notre Dame University but he got a chance to go to a college near there.
Rudy studied hard and tried to transfer to the Notre Dame University. Two years later, finally he enters the university and also realizes another dream by joining the football team.


This is a brief summary of the movie. It may seem like a common story about success,but it is based on the real story of Daniel E. ‘Rudy’ Ruettiger.

(N.45 is Daniel E. 'Rudy' Ruettiger)

Rudy shows us that there is nothing we can’t achieve if we truly want and try hard. Rudy was not the smartest person but he studied for 20 hours every day to enter the university. Also he was not the ideal football player because he was short and didn’t have athletic skill. Nevertheless the reason he became a member was because of his desire. During his time with the football team, his teammates didn’t like him because he made others look bad by working so hard. But at the end of the movie, all of them recognize his effort and give him an unforgettable moment. (Check it in the movie!)

If you have a dream that you really want, just go for it. Don’t limit yourself. When Rudy left to enter the Notre Dame University, he said, “Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to go to school here. And ever since I was a kid, everyone said it couldn’t be done. My whole life, people have been telling me what I could do and couldn’t do. I’ve always listened to them, believed in what they said. I don’t want to do that anymore.”



He is totally right. Why do we allow others to judge our future? It’s our life and nobody can make or control it except for us. Believe in yourself. As I mentioned, people around me also told me achieving my goal would be hard. When people said like that, sometimes I doubted if I could do it. But one day I realized that I had doubted myself because of others’ opinion. And I concluded if I believe myself, nobody can block (or tackle) me. After that conclusion, what I had to do was just make an effort.

Like Rudy did, I try my best. And when I fail, I would ask myself, “Did I do my best?” If not, I have one more chance to do my best.

I know there are many young people with Football BC. And also, even if I don’t have football background, I know it’s hard to sometimes make the team or go to university or even become a professional player. You might fail several times or you might want to give up because you think you can’t do.

This is what I want to say. Even if you fail one time, it doesn’t mean the end. If you fail two times, consider yourself lucky because you have more chances to do your best. If you really want to make it, don’t be scared, don’t think you can’t, don’t compare with others, and just make an effort like ‘Rudy’.

And not for only young kids with Football BC, but also for anyone reading this post, I want to recommend this movie.

Do you think you don’t have talent to be what you want to be?
Do you think you are not smart to go to university which you want to go?
Do you think your dream can’t come true because just others say it can’t?


Watch this movie and be Rudy. You can be, you can go and your dream can come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment